“If I change this, what is Impacted?”
Don’t break your application over a change! Anticipate side effects. Avoid regressions.
No matter the item changed: Visual Expert can find all references to it.
Check your code and safely commit your changes.
What is an Impact Analysis?
An Impact Analysis shows the items using/depending on a certain piece of code.
Visual Expert performs a static analysis of your code. No matter the item changed (object, table, column, function, variable) Visual Expert will find all references to it.
Note: Impact Analyses show references at instruction-level.
- for dependencies between code and data, generate a CRUD Matrix.
- for dependencies between objects, generate an Object Dependency Matrix.
Why use Impact Analysis?
- Understand the inner working of your application.
- Evaluate the potential consequences of a change.
Identify what needs to be changed to complete a modification.
Review your code, before safely committing changes.
- Debug anomalies of program execution.
- A table or a column is modified: where is it used in my code?
- This variable has changed: where is it referenced?
- This function has a new parameter, which calls should I update?
How to Run an Impact Analysis?
First, select a presentation style: