Visual Expert allows you to analyze PL/SQL code directly from your Oracle database. This guide explains how to configure the Visual Expert connection to your Oracle DB using ODBC and Data Source Name (DSN).
Case 1: Connect using ODBC
- Open Visual Expert, click [New] on the ribbon menu to open the "Create Project" wizard.
Select [PL/SQL] in the next pop-up.
- Click on [Oracle Database] in the Oracle DB connection page.
- Click on [ODBC] radio button.
From the ODBC drivers dropdown, select the appropriate ODBC drivers for Oracle.
- Enter Server Name, Authentication type, User ID and Password.
- Click on [Test Connection].
Once connected successfully, select a "Database Name" from the dropdown list to analyze.
Click [Next] and follow the wizard to analyze the added source code.
Case 2: Connect using Data Source Name (DSN)
- You need to create a Data Source Name. Open the "ODBC Data Sources" on your PC.
- The ODBC Data Source Administrator will open on your screen. Click on [Add].
- Select the appropriate ODBC drivers for Oracle. Click on [Finish].
- Enter the Data Source Name, description, TNS Service Name and USer ID. Click on [Test Connection].
- Enter the password to check the connection. Once, tested successfully, click on [OK].
- You will see that the new Oracle DSN is added to the Data Source Administrator.
- Open Visual Expert. Select the [Data Source Name] radio button as connection type.
Enter the Data Source Name, User ID and Password. Click on [Test Connection].
Once connected successfully, proceed with the project creation.
More from VE Configuration
- Connect to SQL Server DB using ODBC and DSN
- Configuring Oracle Cloud Database Connection
- Windows Authentication for Connecting to a VE Repository