Visual Expert allows you to analyze Transact-SQL code directly from your SQL Server database. This guide explains how to configure the Visual Expert connection to your SQL Server DB using ODBC and Data Source Name (DSN).
Case 1: Connect using ODBC
- Open Visual Expert, click [New] on the ribbon menu to open the "Create Project" wizard.
Select [Transact-SQL] in the next pop-up.
- Click on [SQL Server Database] in the SQL Server DB connection page.
- Click on [ODBC] radio button.
From the ODBC drivers dropdown, select the appropriate ODBC drivers for SQL Server.
- Enter Server Name, Authentication type, User ID and Password.
- Click on [Test Connection].
Once connected successfully, select a "Database Name" from the dropdown list to analyze.
Click [Next] and follow the wizard to analyze the added source code.
Case 2: Connect using Data Source Name (DSN)
- You need to create a Data Source Name. Open the "ODBC Data Sources" on your PC.
- The ODBC Data Source Administrator will open on your screen. Click on [Add].
- Select the appropriate ODBC drivers for SQL Server. Click on [Finish].
- Enter the DSN name, description and Server name. Click on [Next].
- Select your preferred authentication type and enter the required credentials. Click on [Next].
- Click on [Next] to proceed.
- Click on [Finish] to complete the configuration.
- Click on [Test Data Source] to check the SQL Server connection.
- Once the connection is tested successfully, click on [OK].
- Click [OK] to close the ODBC SQL Server Setup window.
- You will see that the newly created DSN is added to the Data Source Administrator.
- Open Visual Expert. Select the [Data Source Name] radio button as connection type.
Enter the Data Source Name, Authentication type, User ID and Password. Click on [Test Connection].
Once connected successfully, select the database from the dropdown list and proceed with the project creation.
More from VE Configuration
- Configuring Oracle Cloud Database Connection
- Windows Authentication for Connecting to a VE Repository
- How to Join GoToMeeting from Desktop App