Visual Expert can generate a CRUD matrix - to analyze CRUD operations in your code (Create, Read, Update, Delete).
As a result, you can see which table is accessed by which objects (procedures, functions, etc.) with the type of access for each object (Create, Read, Update, Delete):
Why Generate a CRUD Matrix?
- Review high-level references between database and code.
- Design and update your database schema
- Estimate the complexity of your code, and the effort to maintain it.
- Identify tables never updated, tables deleted by multiple programs etc.
- And more...
How to Generate a CRUD Matrix?
- Open your Visual expert project.
- You have several options to create a CRUD matrix:
- Select Tables, Columns or Table synonyms to show which objects are using them.
- Select objects (functions, procedures, etc.) to show which tables they are using:
- Select views to show which tables they are using:
The CRUD Matrix will also show which objects are using the selected views.
In the matrix, Views may appear with both callers (lines) and callees (columns).
- Next, click on ‘Create a CRUD matrix’ in the navigation bar.
- A message confirms that the operation has been completed successfully.
Click ‘Open’ to access the CRUD matrix.
- The CRUD matrix opens in Excel. You can edit, share, print it as you like.
In this example, Views were selected before generating the CRUD matrix.
They are listed as both callers and callees: