August 2020 Update: Views
CRUD matrix now supports generating CRUD operations on views. The resultant matrix displays CRUD operations on views as well as operations on the tables for which the views are generated.
December 2019 Update: Table Synonyms
Until now, CRUD matrix displayed CRUD operations on selected tables, columns, procedures, and functions. It is now possible to generate a CRUD matrix on table synonyms to show the objects using them.
July 2019 Update: Procedures and Functions
It is now possible to select procedures or functions to generate a CRUD matrix, to show which tables they are using, and how they access them. Until now, it was only possible to select tables, to show the objects using them. Basically, it now works both ways.
Visual Expert can generate a CRUD matrix - to analyze CRUD operations in your code (Create, Read, Update, Delete).
As a result, you can see which table is accessed by which objects (procedures, functions, etc.) with the type of access for each object (Create, Read, Update, Delete):
Review high-level references between database and code.
Design and update your database schema
Estimate the complexity of your code, and the effort to maintain it.
Identify tables never updated, tables deleted by multiple programs etc.
How to generate a CRUD matrix?
- Open your Visual expert project
- You can create a CRUD matrix for the following selections:
- Tables to show which objects are using them.
- Select functions or procedures to show which tables they are using:
- Select views to show the tables they are using as well as their CRUD operations:
- Next, click on ‘Create a CRUD matrix’ in the navigation bar.
- A message confirms that the operation has been completed successfully.
Click ‘Open’ to access the CRUD matrix.
- The CRUD matrix opens in Excel. You can edit, share, print it as you like.