December 2019 Update: Until now, CRUD matrix displayed CRUD operations on selected tables, columns, procedures, and functions. It is now possible to generate a CRUD matrix on table synonyms to show the objects using them.
July 2019 Update: It is now possible to select procedures or functions to generate a CRUD matrix, to show which tables they are using, and how they access them. Until now, it was only possible to select tables, to show the objects using them. Basically, it now works both ways.
Visual Expert can generate a CRUD matrix - to analyze CRUD operations in your code (Create, Read, Update, Delete).
As a result, you can see which table is accessed by which objects (procedures, functions, etc.) with the type of access for each object (Create, Read, Update, Delete):
Review high-level references between database and code.
Design and update your database schema
Estimate the complexity of your code, and the effort to maintain it.
Identify tables never updated, tables deleted by multiple programs etc.
How to generate a CRUD matrix?
- Open your Visual expert project
- You can either:
- Select tables to show which objects are using them.
- Select functions or procedures to show which tables they are using:
- In the navigation bar, click on “Create a CRUD matrix”
- A message confirms that the operation was successfully completed.
Click “Open” to access the CRUD matrix.
- Excel should prompt a warning about the file format.
This is because VE exports the data in HTML format and open it as an excel file.
Click “Yes” to ignore this warning:
- The CRUD matrix opens in Excel. You can edit, share, print it as you like.